Monday, July 26, 2010

Loving our church, loving our community

The state of our church has been on my mind lately. Michael and I stepped down from Kid's Worship this June to pursue a ministry that has been much on our hearts and allows us to also be apart of a Sunday school class which hasn't been possible since we first were married. Our calling to this new ministry began 3 years ago when we had our first year without a Family Fun Night- our Halloween alternative for our church members and community. This was no small outreach by any means! Our whole church banded together. Young and old alike, volunteered their time and put forth a huge effort to love those who would come to our campus - no less than 1000 people each year!

For several reasons this large outreach was cancelled. We and many of our peers were dismayed by the announcement since we had grown up at the church and there had always been a Family Fun Night. It was something we loved and looked forward to each year. Since that time (2007) we have talked often with our friends of bringing that ministry opportunity back but could never realize this...

So began the planting of seeds.

Since then our desires for Northwest Community Church have grown beyond just one outreach opportunity. Our hearts desire more emphasis on the "Community" and we have heard the our elders say much the same from the pulpit. A guest speaker, Dr. Garrison, asked us one Sunday, "What are you doing to reach 85053?" and that question struck me. What are we doing? Does our neighborhood even know we exist??? Do they drive by, completely oblivious of us? I might point out, (forgive me if this is not true of you) that we have become oblivious of them as well.

Since 2007 we have lost a pastor, gained a new one and now just recently sent him off to a new ministry downtown. While we're not without leadership, (we still have several godly men as our elders) our momentum seems to have been hindered. Now, empty seats and the general sleepiness of our church truly could be the result of summertime vacationing (I hope it is!) but I'm concerned that with the recent loss of one well loved pastor there may be disenchantment brooding. I've occasionally fallen victim to this since Kent left, but have realized this week that I belong to a church that is loved and cherished by God, certainly no less now than before. How can I look dolefully upon Her because of the departure of one man? Sure, I may not know who is preaching each Sunday, but I don't go to church to be shocked and awed by a man. I go to worship my God, I go to learn and to serve His people! We fear inviting others into our midst while we are under going change because even we don't know what to expect. But here's what I'm starting to wrap my head around. Should those we invite be won over by our love rather than by a pastor's eloquence?

More than ever, our body, our family, needs to unite and realize our purpose. Our lives are not to be lived for ourselves or our clubs or our friends, but are to be about spread our joy to those who have none. How can we do this unless we look out across 43rd Avenue and Bell Rd.? For those who won't come to us, musn't we go to them? We have a Judea and Samaria to reach and it's a lot closer than we care to acknowledge. Let's be about what we say we're about!

No comments:

Post a Comment